Saturday, October 6, 2012

Gladness

Mia in the bathtub. "Mom, we should put a bookshelf right here." She points to the tile wall next to her head. A girl after my own heart.

Planning a Brownie meeting. The Hiker patch. The Making Friends badge. The Investiture ceremony. An oval mirror on the ground surrounded by tiny ferns into which the girls will peek after spinning three times and reciting, "Twist me and turn me and show me the elf! I look in the water and see myself!"

This video is very close, spooky close to how my children sound when I eavesdrop as they play.

The campy, crazy art of Ferdinand Hodler. Thanks, Martina!


Forty things to say before you die. "Damn, I look good." "This is who I am."  "Isn't this beautiful?" Thanks, Kristen!  How liberating a thing "I don't care" can be!

The colors of the trees this week.

Zadie Smith's ten rules for writing.

Reading Homer Price to the girls at bedtime.

Vintage children's paperbacks. Oh the memories! Oh the nostalgia!

Jack Gilbert: "We must have the stubbornness to accept our gladness in the ruthless/ Furnace of this world. To make injustice the only measure of our attention is to praise the Devil./If the locomotive of the Lord runs us down,/We should give thanks that the end had magnitude./We must admit there will be music despite everything."

No comments: