Sunday, February 24, 2008

Jane Austen (by way of Andrew Davies) Kills Me Softly With Her Song

Have I mentioned I'm a fan of screenwriter Andrew Davies' 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice? (The final episode airs tonight on on Masterpiece, giving the Academy Awards a run for its money. Tivo will be humming!) As I've been watching the rebroadcast of the series, I'm realizing how much I've internalized Davies' words. I so often hear them in my head, a 19th century narration for our 21st century lives.

Our weekly frenzied tumble to make it on time to gymnastics spills out the back door punctuated by my barking orders and I hear "For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and to laugh at them in our turn?"

Of our daughters: "Our life holds few distinctions, Mrs. Bennett, but I think I may safely boast that here sit two of the silliest girls in the whole country."

And of dear husband: "He is perfectly amiable. If you only knew his generous nature. He is truly the best man I have ever known."

4 comments:

Kristen said...

You're jumping into the MomsBlog community! One of Jane's classmate's mom's is on the Silicon valley version. You can read her here:
http://www.svmoms.com/
my_sv_life_alix/index.html

or here:

http://www.mednauseum.blogspot.com/

Have fun!

Cindy Fey said...

Kristen, thanks for the link to Alix's blog. Good stuff!

Susan Bearman said...

It's true that dear Jane still resonates. My 16-year-old daughter is a huge fan.

Jordan said...

Hi Cindy, thanks for visiting The Wonderwheel today - great to read your blog as well! And I see you're on Chicago Moms Blog - I wrote for them last year but eventually had too much on my plate so discontinued that one. It's a lot of fun - enjoy!