Sunday, June 30, 2019

Pillow Fort

"IF YOU LIKE MAKE-IN LOVE AT MI-ID-NIGHT!" she squeals from the other room and I can't believe she knows that song!

Another Nora post but I can't help it, I can't help my mourning because that little thing that used to run around here is gone. Big Nora is here but little Nora is gone gone. How do you deal with this grief, Mamas? How do you stop the guilt because even though you KNOW this grown and growing intelligent sensitive fascinating person is better, you still want your baby?

Randy took Mia downtown on Saturday so she could get a fresh hair cut and a Morton's steak and some daddy-daughter quality time and frankly, some space away from her younger sister.

I was on my way to meet work friends at the Liz Phair show at Temperance Beer in Evanston and Nora made some noise about meeting Emil at the Wallace Bowl which put my mind at ease but her text an hour later said she was staying home and making brownies and the relief was fabulous.

I met my friends and we caught up and rocked out to Liz, who looked so happy and at ease on stage, making comfortable patter that the crowd of fans ate up, "I can't take you people anywhere" and "My folks moved to a retirement community so I can't call this place home anymore. Can I stay on your couches?" There was a gorgeous duet of Olivia Newton John's "Please, Mister, Please" with Juliana Hatfield and a stripped-down and exquisite "Explain It To Me" where we all soared with her over the octave leap of "Higher, Farther" on the chorus and she belonged in stadiums but this little venue was perfect too.

So many great songs that I lost my voice, so many Wicker Park memories, some that make me blush and giggle, but it was coming home that made my night, walking in to smell the warm chocolate brownies and see the dining room chairs moved in front of the TV, covered with blankets to make a comfy hidey-hole for my child, still a child, maybe she calls out "What the hell, Mom!" when I'm in her closet but for that night, still my baby.

No comments: