Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year

I love a happy accident so when I turned on the car radio today on the way to the forest preserve and heard Edith Piaf's "Je ne regrette rien" I had to smile because "No regrets" was the resolution I had written down on a big pad of scratch paper not an hour earlier.

(Nora wrote "Butts" as her resolution, and then added it again and again all over the paper. Like most moms, I am so often the straight man in the family joke. Don't mind it today; we had a fun party last night with dear friends until late and I'm tired today, taking the path of least resistance, just grateful for an easy recovery day.)

In the car I smiled at the thrilling sound of Piaf's trill and then I had to cry some because, you know, emotion.



For a very long time I did not share the sentiment of this beautiful old song, willfully misunderstanding, perhaps, when I complained, "how can anyone live without regrets? Everyone does stuff that they are sorry for!"

Today I am embracing it fully. The perception shift is about acceptance and forgiveness and extending the courtesy to myself as well as others. We all make mistakes and I will continue to bumble and stumble through this life, world willing, in 2015 hopefully with a softer view, a gentler touch.

Happy New Year, dear readers. Warmest wishes for a healthy and happy 2015. Much love.

No comments: