Saturday, March 16, 2019

Terribly Moving

Brandi Carlile visiting women at the Washington Corrections Center as part of her Looking Out Foundation, performing her utterly real and beautiful poem, "The Mother." The women in the audience laugh at the line, "the first thing that she took from me were selfishness and sleep" and again, at the line about her daughter trashing her car, but the poignancy of these mothers separated by the state from their children is palpable. 




These are Carlile's lines that slay me, every time:

And they've still got their morning paper and their coffee and their time
And they still enjoy their evenings with the skeptics and the wine
Oh, but all the wonders I have seen, I will see a second time
From inside of the ages through your eyes




Bill Hader having dinner with Tobias Wolff and George Saunders. "I was so nervous I don't think I ever stopped talking, sabotaging myself by flooding the conversation." The New Yorker profile of Hader goes on to note that George Saunders had a different recollection of the night: "I woke up that night thinking I was having a heart attack, but it was only a back cramp, caused by having laughed so much at dinner."



Jordan Baker, taking her leave of Nick Carroway in the denouement of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby:

"Do you remember...a conversation we had once about driving a car?"
"Why--not exactly."
"You said a bad driver was only safe until she met another bad driver? Well, I met another bad driver, didn't I?"

Yes, she's privileged and white and selfish and careless but the girl has feelings and she nails Nick, nails him to the wall. He's no innocent either.


No comments: